District Governor 2023-2024 | Lion Dave Leshchyshyn
Lion Dave Leshchyshyn had a couple of starts as a Lions member. The first was as a single Dad raising two young girls. The commitments of fatherhood, work and Lions became too cumbersome, so he stepped back as a Lions member. A few years later, Dave was approached again by a local Lion and has now been involved as a member for the past 11 years.
Dave has held many positions throughout his Lions career at the Club, District and Multiple District levels. Club President, Club Service Chair, Zone Chairperson, Board Member with Lions of Alberta Foundation, Board Member with Canadian Lions Eyeglass Recycling Centre, Committee member with Lions Eye Research Fund, District Service Co-ordinator, Multiple District Service Co-ordinator, and Lions Foundation of Canada Multiple District Co-ordinator.
His efforts have resulted in some bling in the form of a Judge Brian Stevenson Fellowship, a Global Action Team Chairpersons medal, an International Leadership medal, an International Presidents medal, and is a Melvin Jones Fellow.
Lion Dave started his working career as a Radio announcer at CFSL Radio in Weyburn, Saskatchewan, moving on to work for CKRM Radio in Regina, Saskatchewan, then becoming an Albertan, working for CKGY Radio in Red Deer, Alberta. Lion Dave spent 10 years behind the mike, before moving on to advertising sales. After a few years in Financial Services, Lion Dave became Manager of a construction equipment rental company in Sylvan Lake, Alberta.
Lion Dave grew up on the family farm in Saskatchewan and credits his parents with his interest in helping others, giving of their time when theirs was limited, giving of their substance when others had less, getting their hands dirty when there was a need. Lion Dave credits his Radio career with learning teamwork by promoting and helping at events for many non-profit organizations like the Red Deer MS Society, the Red Deer Boys & Girls Club, Red Deer Special Olympics, among others. Evolving into this “Lions Thing” was just a natural.
Lion Dave is forever thankful to have met his partner for life and companion in Service, Lion Suzanne. Together they have taken the opportunity offered by Lions to help others, to learn more, to take on new challenges, to mentor others, and to create new friendships around the world. Dave & Suzanne call Sylvan Lake home, but their Lions home and family is with the Blindman Valley Lions Club, which they are proud to be Charter Members of.
Dave & Suzanne have two grown daughters, both independent, career-driven individuals, which means there’s less chance of them moving back home.
1st Vice District Governor 2023-2024
Lion Lyle Gustafson
My name is Lion Lyle Gustafson. I am blessed with my lovely wife Jill, our 2 children, Chad and Jason, and our 8 grandchildren.
I am currently the 1st Vice District Governor for District C-1, and was Zone Chair last year, and was Past President for my club, Devon Lions.
- EMT course from SAIT in 1986
- Trainer 3 for Scouts Canada
- Conflict Resolution for Scouts Canada
- Advanced Lions Leadership Institute
- Training for Youth Justice Committee
Skills & Abilities
- Ran my own company from 2001 to 2018, Swed-ee Water Hauling, delivering potable water to acreages in area.
- Was part of the Devon Ambulance from 1984–1992 (1986 to 1992 as EMT-A)
- I am currently 2nd Vice District Governor for District C-1 and have been a Lions Club member for the past 10 years.
- Have been a Director of the Northern Lights Scout Foundation for the last 7 years.
- Devon Lions Club LCIF Coordinator in 2020
- Devon Lions Club First Vice President 2018
- Devon Lions Club President 2019
- Member of Devon Lions Club (in good standing) – current
- Member of Scouts Canada from 1983 to present, in various roles, from Cub Leader to District Commissioner, and Honors and Awards President, as well as mediator for the council
- Was on the Youth Justice Committee for three years for the Black Gold District
Owner | Swed-ee hauling | 2000 to 2018
- Potable water delivery to cisterns on acreages, swimming pools, and road spraying in and around Devon area
- Scouts Canada, Bar to the Silver Acorn. For outstanding service to Scouts Canada, obtained in 1977.
- Melvin Jones Fellow – Lions
- Citizen of the Year in Devon
- Queen’s Jubilee Award
- Diamond Centennial – Lions
- 10-year Monarch Chevron – Lions
2nd Vice District Governor 2023-2024
Lion Ted Mikkelsen
Lion Ted was born in Markerville, AB a long time ago and was a career banker with the TD Bank in Calgary and Edmonton. After retirement he moved back to his roots in Spruce View, AB to become a hobby farmer and joined the Spruce View & District Lions Club in 2006. He served 2 terms as club president and willingly accepted the positions as Zone 15 Chair and Multiple District C Membership Coordinator 2022-23.
He is a graduate of:
- Lions Regional Leadership Institute
- Advanced Lions Leadership Institute
- Faculty Development Institute
- Lions University Doctorate Degree
Community involvement includes three 3-year terms as a Director on the Bethany Care Centre Board in Calgary, two 3-year terms as a Director on the Danish Canadian National Museum Board in Dickson, Alberta. President of the Alberta TD Bank Employees Association, and Worthy Grand Patron Grand Chapter of Alberta Order of The Eastern Star followed by appointment as General Grand Chapter Committee Member- General Grand Chapter -Order of The Eastern Star, and member of Al Azar Shriners-Calgary.