The Lions of Alberta Foundation has established the Lions Legacy Scholarship Fund. The Fund invites participating Alberta Lions clubs to seek students who meet the Lions Legacy Scholarship criteria described below. Once selected, the local Lions club will submit the student and club application forms and other documentation to the Lions of Alberta Foundation.
The Foundation will then match, up to $500, for each scholarship provided by the local Lions club. Local Lions clubs may grant any number of scholarships in a given year; however, the Lions of Alberta Foundation matching grants will be limited to two (2) scholarships per Lions club per year, limited to MD C Alberta Lions clubs only.
Lions Legacy Scholarships will be awarded to students who:
- Live in Lions Multiple District C (Alberta)
- Have or will have graduated from Grade 12 at the time of presentation and have acceptance at a post-secondary institution of one or more years of study leading to a certificate or degree
- Have not reached their 20th birthday at time of application
- Those who have received the Lions Legacy Scholarship in the past will not qualify for future grants from the Lions of Alberta Legacy Scholarship
- Demonstrate a commitment to humanitarian causes and exhibit the Lions’ service-oriented philosophy by actively volunteering in their communities
Submit the following items to their local Lions club:
- A transcript of most recent marks from the educational institution last attended
- Confirmation of acceptance (e.g. tuition receipt), the name of the post-secondary institution and the specific field, school or faculty into which they are enrolling
- Letters of reference (maximum of four) with a detailed summary of their character; leadership roles within the school; involvement in extra-curricular activities at school; involvement in organizations in the community at large; work experiences and special interests/hobbies
- One-page self-written letter expressing why they should receive the award